Is Now Not Enough?
for String Quartet
Total duration: 8’30”
Published by Gavia Music (ASCAP)
Download a sample of the score
Laser printed, professionally bound 8.5 X 11 score and parts
PDF file, 8.5 X 11 score and parts
Is Now Not Enough? explores the restlessness and insatiability of a creative spirit. The same invisible force that propels migrating birds and fish, seems to stir the human imagination in search of the ideal and the transcendent, but can it ever be truly found? The music echoes the themes I have explored earlier in my poem entitled Unfurling (see below).
This piece is available on the following album:
Be still my soul
What is your unfurling?
What is your ache?
A void that’s ever empty
What is your shape
That I may fill it?
A flock of geese
Captured in perpetual takeoff
You have startled
The stillness of the pond
Marred it with ripples
Gasping for air
What is your haste?
Is now not enough?
Is here not plenty?
Run, soul, run
For stillness be the death of you
Chase the sun
©2008 Dosia McKay
- Inner Voices String Quartet, the Modern Studio, Knoxville, TN, May 11, 2018
- Opal String Quartet, sponsored by Pan Harmonia, St. Mary’s Episcopal Church, Asheville, NC, November 13, 2016
- Opal String Quartet, sponsored by Pan Harmonia, St. James Episcopal Church, Black Mountain, NC, November 11, 2016
- Inner Voices String Quartet, The Hive, Knoxville, TN, November 13, 2015
- NeoQuartet, the Asean Music Week, Nanning, China, May 2015
- NeoQuartet, Festival Gdynia Classica Nova, Museum of the Town of Gdyna, Poland, October 12, 2014
- Josh Henderson, Blake Allen, Susan D. Mandel, and Maya Bennardo on the Composer’s Voice Concert in Jan Hus Presbyterian Church in New York City, March 10, 2013 (premiere)